2008-12-01

Subjectivity and the edges of experience

Why do I find the Taylor paper so interesting? (see previous post.)

The main reason is that I have had similar but less well-formed and argued ideas, for quite a long time:

  • When I was a kid, I used to wonder about why I couldn't see "blackness" at the back of my head, i. e. I was musing on the fact that there is no "border" nor a "beyond" to my visual field. I don't know where I got the idea, but I was an early and avid reader, and had read old popular books about the brain as early as age 10 (or less). If you think about this a while, it is quite striking, particularly in the context of Clark's paper. This is an 'angular' version of the 'finite block of experience'!

  • Along the same lines, I also thought about 'Where was I before I was born?' at quite a young age. I may have thought about this as young as the age of seven or eight, maybe even sooner. I remember sitting in the yard and thinking about it, but I cannot recall the year.

  • Later in life, when actively confronting the idea of 'hard materialism' and death, I have had the thought "Well, after I die, someone will go on experiencing anyway." This was definitely after learning about the idea of reincarnation and some Eastern ideas, though.


Also, this approach reminded me of two essays: The first is Harding's On Having No Head, a book I read many years ago (and still have somewhere). There is now a website for The Headless Way. Amazing. The second is "Enlightened Solipsism" in 5000 B. C. and Other Philosophical Fantasies by Raymond Smullyan. Alas, this seems to be out of print.

No comments: